Traffic Safety Unit


Traffic Safety Unit

The Redlands Police Department Traffic Safety Unit is a vital part of providing the citizens of Redlands with safe, confidence inspiring driving conditions. Our goal is to reduce collisions through high quality collision investigations, accurate data collection, apprehension of violators and education of the motoring public with regard to the causes of collisions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I receive a traffic ticket?

You are required to appear at court for a misdemeanor violation. For all violations, your court date/time/place are noted on the front of your notice to appear (citation). Have the citation with you when contacting the court. In all infraction cases, you must do one or more of the following for each violation:

  • Pay the fine (bail)
  • Correct the violation (traffic cases, when applicable)
  • Appear in court
  • Request traffic school (traffic cases, when applicable)
  • Contest the violation
  • Request trial by written declaration (traffic cases)

If you do not do one of the above actions, then a “failure to appear” charge will be filed against you and your driver’s license may be withheld, suspended or revoked. In some courts you may be charged an amount in addition to the bail amount and the case may be turned over to a collection agency.

If you do NOT contest the violation:

  • Pay the bail amount: Contact the court for bail information. You will not have to appear in court. You will be convicted of the violation, and it will appear on your record at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A point count may be charged to your DMV record and your insurance may be adversely affected.
  • Traffic school: You may be able to avoid the point count by completing traffic school. You must pay the bail amount, and you may have to pay other fees. After you attend traffic school, the violation will be dismissed and the point count will not be added to your DMV record. Contact the court to request traffic school.
  • Correctable violations: If the “Yes” box is checked on the front of your ticket, the violation is correctable. Upon correction of the violation, have a law enforcement officer or an authorized inspection/installation station agent sign the back of your citation. Registration and driver’s license violations may also be certified as corrected at an office of the DMV or by any clerk or deputy clerk of the court. The violation will be dismissed only upon (1) your showing or mailing to the court evidence of financial responsibility valid at the time your notice to appear was issued, and (2) your payment of a transaction fee.

Make your check or money order payable to “Clerk of the Court.” Write your citation number and driver’s license number on your check or money order. You may pay in person, by mail, or by phone.

For information on paying your traffic ticket online, click here.

How do I contest a traffic ticket?

If you choose to contest a traffic violation, you must do one of the following:

  • For a court trial: Send a certified or registered letter postmarked no later than five days prior to the appearance date on your citation or come to the court by the appearance date to request a court trial on a future date when an officer and any witnesses will be present. You will be required to submit the bail amount.


  • For a trial by written declaration: Send a certified or registered letter postmarked not later than five days prior to the appearance date on your citation or come to the court on or before the appearance date to request a trial by written declaration. Submit the bail amount. You will be given forms to allow you to write a statement and to submit other evidence without appearing in court. An officer will also submit a statement. The judicial office will consider the evidence and decide the case.

Where to appear or call:

Traffic Court
Fontana District, San Bernardino County,
17780 Arrow Blvd, Fontana Ca 92335

Where can I get traffic Collision Reports?

If you are looking for a specific traffic collision, you can search for it on

My car was impounded / Towed. What do I do?

T.O.W.W. – Vehicles Impounded for 30 Days

Effective January 1, 1995, California Vehicle Code section 14602.6(a) became enforceable. This section provides that……

“Whenever a peace officer determines that a person was driving a vehicle while his/her driving privilege was suspended or revoked or without ever having been issued a license, the peace officer may immediately arrest that person and cause the removal and seizure of that vehicle or, if the vehicle was involved in a traffic collision, cause the removal and seizure of the vehicle, without the necessity of arresting the person in accordance with Chapter 10 … A vehicle so impounded shall be impounded for 30 days.”

The Traffic Offenders Without Wheels Program is a State of California, Office of Traffic Safety endorsed program that targets drivers who have had their licenses suspended or revoked for one of a variety of reasons. It is important to note that if your license is suspended and you are stopped by a police officer, your car WILL BE IMPOUNDED for 30 days. Additionally, you will be arrested or cited.

Drivers/owners of impounded vehicles are afforded an opportunity to challenge the validity of the impoundment or request consideration of mitigating circumstances, but this request for hearing must be submitted in writing at the police department within 10 days of the impoundment. Additional information can be obtained by calling (909) 798-7614 during business hours. After hours call Dispatch at 909-798-7681.

If your car is impounded for 30 days, you will need to obtain a release form from the police department prior to going to the tow yard to get your car. There will be a $258 administrative fee assessed for impounds. You will need to provide documentation that your car is properly registered and you will have to have a valid driver’s license to obtain the release. Once at the tow yard, you will be responsible for all charges (towing, storage and related fees) before your car will be released.

A typical 30 day impound will cost the driver/owner in excess of $900. And in addition, the driver/owner can expect to incur additional costs at DMV to get their driver’s license reinstated and any warrants cleared up if applicable. For those drivers who have been convicted of driving while suspended and are caught again, their license will be FORFEITED PERMANENTLY. Since this law was enacted, hundreds of vehicles have been impounded.

As you can see driving on a suspended driver’s license can be very costly. It is your responsibility to insure that anyone driving your car has a valid driver’s license.

I was cited by the CHP for tinted windows. Can I come to the Redlands Police Department to have the ticket signed off once the tint is removed?

No. Citations issued by the CHP for violations which require a correction must be signed off by a CHP officer. CHP citations may be signed off at the San Bernardino CHP office located at 2211 Western Ave., San Bernardino. (909) 383-4247

My son just received a motorized scooter as a gift. Where can he ride it?

Motorized scooters are legal to ride on the street ONLY under the following conditions:

  1. The rider must be 16 years of age or older.
  2. The rider must wear an approved, properly fitted bicycle helmet.
  3. The scooter must be equipped with a properly working, rider activated brake on at least one wheel.
  4. The scooter may not be driven on any street with a speed limit in excess of 25 MPH.
  5. No passengers are permitted.
  6. The scooter may not be driven on a sidewalk except to enter/exit a driveway.

Can my children ride in the back of my pickup truck if it has a camper shell?

No one is permitted to ride in the back of a pickup or flatbed truck under any circumstances unless secured with a restraint device that meets or exceeds federal motor vehicle safety standards. The restraint device would have to be a seatbelt system which was installed by the manufacturer, dealer or other approved aftermarket installer.

What are the regulations for inoperable vehicles?

In the City of Redlands, if a vehicle is left on the street for more than 72 hours without being driven and/or is in-operable, the police department will place a 72 Hour “warning sticker” on the windshield according to Redlands Traffic Ordinance 10.40.110. The owner/driver has 72 hours to remove the vehicle from the street, or a citation for street storage will be issued and/or the vehicle will be towed in accordance with the California Vehicle Code 22651 (k).

Can I park my vehicle on the street?

Yes. However vehicles parked on the street must be licensed and operable, and cannot be left in one location for more than 72 consecutive hours (3 days).
*Please note that vehicles should be parked so they do not block or partially block the sidewalk or driveway.

Can I park my vehicle on my front lawn?

No. When people use their lawns for parking, they compact the soil, damage the landscaping, and detract from the visual appearance of their property and the neighborhood. Furthermore, when people park on the lawn, oils and fluids from their vehicles can seep into the ground and create a potential environmental problem. All vehicles must be parked on a permanent paved surface such as asphalt, Portland Cement or other approved stabilized permanent surface. The entire vehicle must be parked on a permanent paved surface, not just the tires. Vehicle owners who continue to park on the front lawn, after being notified that it is unlawful to do so, will be subject to a City citation.

Where can I park my boat or recreational vehicle?

You can park your boat or recreational vehicle in any location where you would normally park your car. It must be a permanent paved surface, and neither the boat nor recreational vehicle should block any driveway or sidewalk. They both should be licensed and operable. Boats should be stored on a trailer, which is operable and registered. The boat must also be covered.

The boat and recreational vehicle cannot be parked in the same place for more than 72 consecutive hours (3 days).

Can I live in my recreational vehicle?

No. It is unlawful for anyone to live in a recreational vehicle parked on any public property such as the street, park, alley, public parking lot or any other public way. The same regulation applies to private property. On occasion the City grants permission to property owners who request to have a caretaker on their property on a temporary basis. Guests of city residents are allowed to stay in their recreational vehicle for up to 48 consecutive hours, when parked in close proximity to the resident’s dwelling.

Can the City abate an abandoned vehicle?

Yes. If a vehicle is abandoned or inoperable, the City can remove the vehicle through an abatement process. Once a vehicle has been abated, the owner cannot reclaim it.

What is the City’s policy on Automated License Plate Readers (ALPRs)?

You can find the full policy regarding ALRPs in the Redlands Automated License Plate Readers Policy Manual.

About the Traffic Safety Unit

The Redlands Police Department’s Traffic Safety Unit is comprised of three components:

  • Collision Investigation
  • Traffic Law Enforcement
  • Parking Law Enforcement

The Collision Investigation component consists of five investigators who are each assigned to a patrol team. At least one investigator is “on duty” 24 hours a day. Their primary responsibility is to respond to traffic collisions, investigate the cause of the collision and report that information to the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS) in the form of a collision report. These officers are required to attend a minimum of 80 hours of state approved training and be supervised by a senior officer before being certified as a “collision investigator.”

The Traffic Law Enforcement component consists of five traffic officers each assigned to a patrol team. These officers are responsible for reducing the number of collisions occurring within the city through high visibility enforcement and education. Their activity is usually concentrated at those locations which have been identified as “high risk” using data provided by the Crime Analysis Unit. In addition to enforcement, these officers investigate non-injury and injury collisions, present general safety seminars at schools and bike safety rodeos and speak at other public gatherings.

One of the many educational tools used by the Traffic Safety Unit is the “radar trailers.” These black and white trailers are placed at strategic locations throughout the city which have been identified as problematic, sometimes as the result of citizen complaints. The trailer uses radar to detect an approaching vehicle’s speed which is then displayed on a large screen along with the posted speed limit for the street. We have found the “radar trailer” to be a very effective educational tool.

The Parking Enforcement/Special Events component consists of two full-time Parking Control Officers (PCOs). These officers patrol all areas of the city including the downtown area where most of the “timed” parking is located. These officers also assist with traffic control at collisions, special events and traffic problems at Market Night.

The goal of parking enforcement is to ensure parking is available to those who need it and to assist downtown merchants with special parking issues.

For parking issues & complaints please call 909-335-4726

Contact Us

If you still have any outstanding questions, please contact Sgt. Ryan Steinhaus at
(909) 335-4766
FAX (909) 798-7639
30 Cajon St,
Redlands, CA. 92373

Please note that the Traffic Safety Unit is not staffed 24 hours a day, so there may be a delay in order to get back to you. If you are reporting a traffic issue that is occurring now, please call
Dispatch at 909-798-7681 Option 1


Traffic Education

The Redlands Police Department is committed to helping our community stay safe on the road. The following sections provide general guidelines to road safety for the specific topic.


Parking Citations

To pay, contest, or check the status of a parking citation online, please go to or call 1-800-553-4412. Citation processing is handled by Tustin-based Turbo Data Systems. Additionally, you can pay your citation by mailing a check or money order to:

City of Redlands
PO Box 2081
Tustin, CA 92781-2081