It was in the spring of 1882 that Mr. E.J. Waite, a native of
Wisconsin, planted the first orange grove in Redlands proper on
two and a half acres on Center Street.
The City of Redlands was, for almost three-quarters of a century,
at the heart of the largest navel orange producing region in the
world, attracting people from all over the world from the late
1800’s to the late 1950’s.