Communication / Dispatch


The Communications Unit is a significant component of the Police Department, providing a vital link between the community and public safety personnel. Communications personnel are often the first contact in a citizen’s emergency situation. They are tasked with interpreting the individual’s needs and coordinating the response of appropriate services.

These highly trained individuals are responsible for providing assistance to callers on more than twenty-five incoming telephone lines including 911 emergency, alternate emergency and business lines. In addition to answering the multitude of phone lines, communications personnel are tasked with dispatching calls via radio and a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system. They also monitor over a dozen different radio channels. These radio channels include all of the frequencies utilized by the various units of the department, local government and other allied agencies. Dispatchers use a unified channel to link a Redlands Police Department officer with officers from other area agencies. This radio link capability is especially useful during vehicle pursuits into other jurisdictions and when responding to mutual requests for assistance.

The Communication Unit also utilizes a variety of cameras from various locations in town to support responding units on calls for service and by providing an additional resource to ensure site security at the various locations. The Communications Unit implemented the ability for members of the community to contact the Communications Unit through a 911 email system which is currently one of the only such systems in San Bernardino County. The Communications Section responds daily to hundreds of telephone and radio calls.

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I call 911?

The emergency 911 system should be used to report emergency situations that are in progress or just occurred, such as traffic collisions, fires, medical problems and crimes. To report incidents that are not life-threatening or do not require the immediate response of emergency personnel, calls should be made to the business line at (909) 798-7681.

Why should I report minor thefts, vandalism or losses my insurance company won’t cover?

Whenever you are the victim of a crime you should report it so that the activity can be tracked and potential crime trends noted. By doing this, you may alert the department to a problem we were not aware of and save other members of the community similar losses. If you choose to report an incident with no suspect information, the Department’s online reporting system allows you to do so at your convenience without leaving your home or work. See our Report a Crime page for more information.

I wish to report a minor incident, but don’t want to trouble an officer with responding to my home or business. What can I do?

You can stop at the main police building to file a report. In many instances the required information can be gathered over the telephone to complete any needed report, which is a time saver for all involved. You may also file an online using our Citizens Online Police Reporting System.

Can I report my peace being disturbed even though it is not after 10 p.m.?

Yes. While the common rule of thumb suggests that you can only report loud noises, music and similar disturbances if they occur after 10 p.m., these incidents can and should be reported at any time of the day or night when your personal peace is disturbed by the activity.

I’m going to be away from my home or business for an extended period of time, can I arrange for extra patrol?

Yes. If you are going on vacation, and you’d like to have a patrol done of your neighborhood or your business, you can make a Vacation House Check Request. You can also call the business line at (909) 798-7681 and ask for a Vacation House Check.

The dispatcher will obtain the needed information and forward the request to the patrol officers working the area and also to the Civilian Volunteer Patrol for periodic checks of the property.

How do I file a police report online?

You can report a wide variety of incidents online through our Citizens Online Police Reporting System.

How can I find out if there are any sexual predators in my neighborhood?

If you are looking for information regarding registered sex offenders in your area, you can go to

How loud does music have to be before I can have a police officer respond to my neighbors residence?

A call for service can be taken for anything that is disturbing your peace. A police officer will respond and determine if it is unreasonable.

How can I find out about any crime happening in my neighborhood?

Go to to see crimes throughout the City. You can also sign up for alerts for your area via emails.

Where do I need to come to have a fix it ticket signed off?

Citation sign-offs are done at 1270 W Park Ave., Bldg. C.

How do I report graffiti in my neighborhood?

You can submit a service request through our online Civic Problem page, from our 311 app, or by contacting the Facilities & Community Services Department.

How do I get a copy of a report?

Contact the Records Unit at 909-798-7614, and verify the report is available for pick up. When the report is ready, it can be picked up at 1270 W. Park Ave., Bldg. #C, between 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.,  Monday — Thursday (excluding holidays).

What is it like being a Police Dispatcher?

This training guide covers the ins and outs of being a Police Dispatcher.

How to become an Exemplary Dispatcher

Contact Us

Shayna Walker, Operations Manager
(909) 798-7611

Dispatch Supervisor
(909) 798-7681

Non-emergency Dispatch: (909) 798-7681 ext. 1