The City of Redlands Fire Department Explorer Post was established in 2000. Fire Explorers offers youths between 15 and 21 years of age the opportunity to learn about the fire service. The Explorers meet the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
Active Members of our post participate in group physical fitness, receive classroom and hands on training, and are involved in community events and projects. Fire Explorer participants will learn firefighting skills, hose lays, ladders, basic first aid and patient care, wildland firefighting, vehicle extrication, and the use of firefighting tools and equipment.
Each Explorer will have the opportunity to Ride Along and apply the skills they have learned and gained valuable experience. When Explorers ride along, they work side by side with firefighters and respond to actual emergency calls and participate in any training or community projects that occur during the shift.
The Explorer program is currently on hold. Explorers are not doing any training, ride-outs or events due to COVID. Therefore, applications for new explorers will not be accepted at this time, most likely not until 2022.
How to Apply
- Click to open the application. Print it out, complete it, and submit it in person to the Redlands Fire Department Administration Office at: Fire Admin, 35 Cajon Street, Suite #12, Redlands, CA 92373.
- Fire Admin is right next to City Hall, in the Civic Center, on the corner of Orange & Citrus. You may turn it in Mon-Thurs 7:30 am- 5:30 pm. Click to open an image of the location.
- You may also walk into the Fire Admin office during business hours and pick up an application in person.
- An interest list will be created from completed applications.
- Applications are received from January through February. Enrollment closes February 15.
- Qualified applicants will receive a letter with an invitation for a physical agility test and an oral interview. Each portion of the test will be conducted by Redlands Fire Department personnel and members of the Explorer Post.
- Successful candidates will be invited to join Redlands Fire Explorer Post 261! Good Luck!
Who to Contact
- Administrative Assistant, Maria Koolhoven at (909)798-7601 or email at email@example.com
- Firefighter Jerome Mathiason at (909)798-7601
To Future Explorers:
The City of Redlands Fire Department would like to welcome you. We hope that you will be successful in becoming a member of our program.
As an Explorer, you will be required to make many commitments. There are many hours of training required to maintain your active status within the program. You will need to consistently maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average at school and must be in good standing within the community. There are also some financial requirements that you will need to consider.
Please click to find the on-line Explorer Application, the City of Redlands Waiver, and a list of expenditures that you will incur once you have become an Explorer. We ask that you and your parents read over these papers together, complete them, and submit them in person to the Fire Administration office.
Although it may seem there are many requirements placed upon you, we believe that you will find our program very enjoyable and rewarding. We hope to see you in the future and will you the best of luck in becoming a City of Redlands Fire Explorer.
Firefighter Jerome Mathiasen