Temporary Outdoor Dining and Use Areas


This page provides information about how to apply for approval of a temporary outdoor dining area (for existing food service establishments) that have occupancy limits due to current Covid-19 guidelines. The no fee application and instructions are provided in the following link.

Application for Temporary Outdoor Dining and Use Areas

Click here for Temporary Outdoor Dining and Use Areas Application 

This is one-page form asks for some information about the area you want to use for outdoor dining, small retail display or rack area, and similar measures for the purpose of providing adequate social distancing. Download and save this application form to your desktop, then you may complete the form and save your information (and return to it later without losing your information). 

You will need provide a basic Site Plan showing the area you intend to use, including marking the areas for any tents or canopies, ropes or barriers, planters or trees, and ADA-accessibility. You can use the City’s mapping tools and create a site plan (click on “Make a Site Plan” tab above). 

Site Plan Requirements (click here to see a sample site plan):

  • Footprint of proposed outdoor dining area or other use area, and indicate purpose (e.g., tables & chairs, display rack, etc.).
  • Location of temporary tents, canopies, or umbrellas (if any).
  • Location of barriers, planters, or other temporary facilities (if any).
  • Property lines and footprint of existing building.
  • Parking lot areas, parking spaces, and loading zone.
  • Vehicle driveways, drive aisles, fire access or emergency lanes, access to refuse/trash enclosure area and bins, etc.
  • If temporary facilities will encroach into any drive aisles or access ways, label the proposed width of the aisle with the proposed facilities. 
  • Location of fire hydrants on and adjacent to the subject property.
  • Location of existing ADA-accessible parking spaces and Path of Travel. If existing ADA spaces and/or Path of Travel are to be blocked or relocated, indicate the proposed location on-site where the replacement ADA spaces or Path of Travel will be provided.
  • If public sidewalks will be affected, show and label a minimum 4-foot wide clear, level, and unobstructed area for the ADA Path of Travel.

Additional information about applying:

  • Tents & Canopies: If a tent or canopy will be provided in the outdoor dining or use area, include with your application a copy or digital photo of the fire rating certificate attached to each tent or canopy.  NOTE: Tents 400 square-feet or greater in size will require a permit from the Fire Department, and will be subject to the requirements in the 2019 California Fire Code chapter 31.
  • Public Right-of-Way: If any part of the outdoor dining area or use area will be placed within public right-of-way (such as street, sidewalk, alley, etc.), then a License Agreement will be required from the City. You will also need a Certificate of Insurance naming the City of Redlands as an additional insured. Please contact Economic Development Division staff, Mr. Cruz Esparza, at (909) 335-4755 ext. 1 for assistance with the License Agreement. 

Photo of dining on East State Street

Photo of tent and dining in street spaces

Photo of outdoor retail display

Make a Site Plan

You can make a Site Plan yourself by using the City’s mapping tools available online. A few clicks listed below will help you create and print a Site Plan in just a couple of minutes:

  1. Go to the City’s online Zoning Map (click here)
  2. On the toolbar at the top of the map, click on “Layers” and un-check Zoning.
    On the toolbar at the top of the map, click on “Basemap” and select Imagery Hybrid.
  3. Find your location on the map, and scroll in for a close-up aerial photo of your property (use the scroll wheel on your mouse, or use the “+” symbol at the upper left side on the map to zoom).

    For best results, make sure your property occupies most of the map window (this will ensure your Site Plan is clear and legible when you print it in the next step).
  4. On the toolbar at the top of the map, click on the “Print” arrow (V) and select Landscape (PDF). 
  5. The “Printout” button will appear in a few seconds, click on Printout and then a new tab will open with the aerial photo. Make sure your property occupies most of the page, and also showing the adjacent streets and sidewalks (i.e., property lines). At the upper right corner of the toolbar, select the Download button and save the document to your desktop.
  6. Open the document from your desktop, and you can then edit the document electronically and use drawing tools (if you have PDF, Photoshop, or similar software) prior to printing. You can also print the page and manually draw on it. This will become your Site Plan.  

    If you need assistance, please call Planning staff at the One Stop Permit Center.

Measurement Tool: There is a measurement tool available on the Zoning Map that allows you to verify dimensions for the width of sidewalks, walkways, drive aisles, etc., if you need to verify adequate pedestrian and vehicle access with your proposed temporary facilities. On the toolbar at the top of the map, click on the ”Measure” button and select the middle ruler symbol for ‘Distance’. Then select Feet on the drop-down list next to the ruler symbols.

How To Measure: Use your mouse and cursor to measure dimensions in feet. The first click of your mouse will start the measurement, and then a double-click will end the measurement. To do another measurement, just just click once again on your mouse and then double-click to end the measurement. You can then draw or write these measurements to provide the required information. 

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Pedestrian access: This Federal law is codified in Title 24 of the Calif. Building Code and generally requires a clear, level, paved and unobstructed Path of Travel that is four feet (4′0″) wide for the following:

  • From the on-site ADA-accessible parking spaces to the temporary use area.
  • From the public sidewalk (adjacent to the property) to the temporary use area.
  • Public sidewalks adjacent to the business (for temporary dining or seating area on a public sidewalk).
  • These dimensions should be labeled on the Site Plan along with your proposed temporary use area and facilities. 

A Planning Guide for Making Temporary Events Accessible to People with Disabilities

The ADA design regulations are complex, and it may be easier for you to maintain the existing ADA parking and walkways already provided on the site. Should you have any questions, please contact Building & Safety staff in the One Stop Permit Center at (909) 798-7536 between 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday. 

Drive Aisles and Parking Lots

If drive aisles or portions of parking lots will remain accessible to motor vehicles adjacent to your temporary use area or facilities (e.g., tents, canopies, pop-up shelters, etc.), then the drive aisle must meet minimum width requirements. Two-way drive aisles must be a minimum of 26 feet wide, and one-way drive aisles must be a minimum of 14 feet wide (use of directional signs are also recommended). These dimensions should be labeled on the Site Plan along with your proposed temporary use area and facilities.  

Should you have any questions about parking lot requirements, or possibly temporarily blocking a driveway into your site, please contact Planning Division staff in the One Stop Permit Center at (909) 798-7551 and press option 3 for the Planning desk. 

How to Apply

The One Stop Permit Center is now open to accept applications. 

  • Submit via e-mail: send an email to ‘planning@cityofredlands.org‘ and attach a PDF file of your completed application form as well as the required Site Plan. Include a photo of the fire rating certificate(s) for any tents and canopies, if applicable. 
  • Submit at the One Stop Permit Center: Completed applications (with Site Plan) may be submitted at the Planning public counter in the One Stop Permit Center located at 35 Cajon St., Suite 15-A, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday (closed alternate Fridays).

Map of City Hall Suite 15-A

Operating Requirements

The following operating requirements pertain to outdoor dining.

  1. Has in place a COVID-19 prevention plan consistent with the applicable State Industry Guide or other applicable State and County guidelines;
  2. Meets all applicable County rules (e.g., environmental health regulations and Health Officer Orders) and State laws (e.g., applicable State Industry Guide and alcohol beverage consumption laws), as verified by County Public Health or other responsible agency;
  3. Follows an outdoor dining or occupancy plan at the proposed location that meets all Fire Department standards, including number of occupants, points of egress, access to fire extinguishers, and tent and awning ratings, if applicable;
  4. Ensures fire hydrants shall remain unobstructed at all times;
  5. Maintains access required by the Americans with Disabilities Act at all times;
  6. Includes suitable demarcation of the boundary of the outdoor dining or use area, such as bollards/rope or temporary fencing not exceeding four (4) feet high, placed in safe manner around outdoor dining area;
  7. Clearly and physically separates the outdoor expansion area from pedestrian traffic, and preserves adequate and safe circulation for pedestrians;
  8. Does not include installation of any permanent structure or other items;
  9. Assures compliance by businesses with the City’s noise regulations in the Redlands Municipal Code (Chapter 8.06);
  10. Ensures that outdoor areas are maintained and free of trash and other debris;
  11. For food service establishments, provides that all tables and associated seating must be spaced at least 6 feet apart from other tables and seating or, for other uses, maintains a physical separation of 6 feet between persons;
  12. Does not permit groups of 10 or more persons at one table;
  13. Provides that all lines for patrons for food orders or pick-up, as well as on-site restroom facilities, clearly demarcate a minimum distance of 6 feet between patrons in line (such as placing labels or tape markings on the ground);
  14. Consistent with County Health Orders, requires all employees and patrons to wear face coverings, with the exception of patrons who are seated at tables provided and who are eating or drinking;
  15. Does not permit smoking in the expanded outdoor dining area; and,
  16. Provides maintenance standards for the outdoor dining area.

City Council Resolution No. 8112

Click here for “Covid-19 Industry Guidance: Retail”

Click here for “Covid-19 Industry Guidance: Dine-In Restaurants”

Temporary Catering License for Alcoholic Beverages

If a restaurant currently has a valid Alcoholic Beverage Control license, then the business may be eligible to apply to ABC for temporary catering authorization that will allow the business to provide alcoholic beverages outdoors with food service. The ABC application process is separate and apart from the City’s temporary outdoor dining application. 

For further information, please visit the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) website at https://www.abc.ca.gov, or contact ABC’s Riverside District Office. The following links provide additional ABC webpages for reference:

City of Redlands authorization and operating requirements

The City Council adopted Resolution No. 8112 authorizing outdoor dining, and when applicable, service of alcoholic beverages with food service (subject to separate approval by ABC via Form ABC-218 CV19) . 

City Council Resolution No. 8112

Specifically, the City’s local requirements for ABC licensees are the following:

  1. Business has a current and valid Alcoholic Beverage Control license for the type of service the business intends to provide;
  2. Prior to beginning alcohol service, the business must submit an application to the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control for temporary catering authorization (Form ABC-218 CV19: Temporary Catering Authorization Application);
  3. Business shall be responsible for complying with and enforcing all related operating conditions applicable to their specific license type (such as outdoor area enclosure, signage, monitoring by employees, etc.);
  4. Alcoholic beverages may be served and consumed in the outdoor dining area only if associated with a food order; and,
  5. If approved by ABC, the applicant must provide a copy of the approval (including any conditions of approval) to the Redlands Planning Division within 15 days of issuance by ABC.


Photo of sidewalk dining