Traffic Safety Unit

30 Cajon St., Redlands, CA. 92373
(909) 335-4730 • FAX (909) 798-7639
** these phone numbers above are not monitored 24 hrs a day**

if you are reporting a traffic issue that is occurring now please call
Dispatch at 909-798-7681 Option 1

Sgt. Derek Ohlson, Supervisor

The Redlands Police Department Traffic Safety Unit is a vital part of providing the citizens of Redlands with safe, confidence inspiring driving conditions. Our goal is to reduce collisions through high quality collision investigations, accurate data collection, apprehension of violators and education of the motoring public with regard to the causes of collisions.

The Redlands Police Department’s Traffic Safety Unit is comprised of three components:

  • Collision Investigation
  • Traffic Law Enforcement
  • Parking Law Enforcement

The Collision Investigation component consists of five investigators who are each assigned to a patrol team. At least one investigator is “on duty” 24 hours a day. Their primary responsibility is to respond to traffic collisions, investigate the cause of the collision and report that information to the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS) in the form of a collision report. These officers are required to attend a minimum of 80 hours of state approved training and be supervised by a senior officer before being certified as a “collision investigator.”

The Traffic Law Enforcement component consists of five traffic officers each assigned to a patrol team. These officers are responsible for reducing the number of collisions occurring within the city through high visibility enforcement and education. Their activity is usually concentrated at those locations which have been identified as “high risk” using data provided by the Community Analysis Unit. In addition to enforcement, these officers investigate non-injury and injury collisions, present general safety seminars at schools and bike safety rodeos and speak at other public gatherings.

One of the many educational tools used by the Traffic Safety Unit is the “radar trailers.” These black and white trailers are placed at strategic locations throughout the city which have been identified as problematic, sometimes as the result of citizen complaints. The trailer uses radar to detect an approaching vehicle’s speed which is then displayed on a large screen along with the posted speed limit for the street. We have found the “radar trailer” to be a very effective educational tool.

The Parking Enforcement/Special Events component consists of two full-time Parking Control Officers (PCOs). These officers patrol all areas of the city including the downtown area where most of the “timed” parking is located. These officers also assist with traffic control at collisions, special events and traffic problems at Market Night.

The goal of parking enforcement is to ensure parking is available to those who need it and to assist downtown merchants with special parking issues.

For parking issues, please call 909-335-4726.

For information on vehicle impounds and releases, please call the Records Unit at 909-798-7614.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I receive a traffic ticket?

You are required to appear at court for a misdemeanor violation. For all violations, your court date/time/place are noted on the front of your notice to appear (citation). Have the citation with you when contacting the court. In all infraction cases, you must do one or more of the following for each violation:

  • Pay the fine (bail)
  • Correct the violation (traffic cases, when applicable)
  • Appear in court
  • Request traffic school (traffic cases, when applicable)
  • Contest the violation
  • Request trial by written declaration (traffic cases)

If you do not do one of the above actions, then a “failure to appear” charge will be filed against you and your driver’s license may be withheld, suspended or revoked. In some courts you may be charged an amount in addition to the bail amount and the case may be turned over to a collection agency.

If you do NOT contest the violation:

  • Pay the bail amount: Contact the court for bail information. You will not have to appear in court. You will be convicted of the violation, and it will appear on your record at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A point count may be charged to your DMV record and your insurance may be adversely affected.
  • Traffic school: You may be able to avoid the point count by completing traffic school. You must pay the bail amount, and you may have to pay other fees. After you attend traffic school, the violation will be dismissed and the point count will not be added to your DMV record. Contact the court to request traffic school.
  • Correctable violations: If the “Yes” box is checked on the front of your ticket, the violation is correctable. Upon correction of the violation, have a law enforcement officer or an authorized inspection/installation station agent sign the back of your citation. Registration and driver’s license violations may also be certified as corrected at an office of the DMV or by any clerk or deputy clerk of the court. The violation will be dismissed only upon (1) your showing or mailing to the court evidence of financial responsibility valid at the time your notice to appear was issued, and (2) your payment of a transaction fee.

Make your check or money order payable to “Clerk of the Court.” Write your citation number and driver’s license number on your check or money order. You may pay in person, by mail, or by phone.

For information on paying your traffic ticket online, click here.

How do I contest a traffic ticket?
If you choose to contest a traffic violation, you must do one of the following:

  • For a court trial: Send a certified or registered letter postmarked no later than five days prior to the appearance date on your citation or come to the court by the appearance date to request a court trial on a future date when an officer and any witnesses will be present. You will be required to submit the bail amount.


  • For a trial by written declaration: Send a certified or registered letter postmarked not later than five days prior to the appearance date on your citation or come to the court on or before the appearance date to request a trial by written declaration. Submit the bail amount. You will be given forms to allow you to write a statement and to submit other evidence without appearing in court. An officer will also submit a statement. The judicial office will consider the evidence and decide the case.

Where to appear or call:

Traffic Court -

Fontana District, San Bernardino County,

17780 Arrow Blvd, Fontana Ca 92335


My son just received a motorized scooter as a gift. Where can he ride it?

Motorized scooters are legal to ride on the street ONLY under the following conditions:

  1. The rider must be 16 years of age or older.
  2. The rider must wear an approved, properly fitted bicycle helmet.
  3. The scooter must be equipped with a properly working, rider activated brake on at least one wheel.
  4. The scooter may not be driven on any street with a speed limit in excess of 25 MPH.
  5. No passengers are permitted.
  6. The scooter may not be driven on a sidewalk except to enter/exit a driveway.

Can my children ride in the back of my pickup truck if it has a camper shell?

No one is permitted to ride in the back of a pickup or flatbed truck under any circumstances unless secured with a restraint device that meets or exceeds federal motor vehicle safety standards. The restraint device would have to be a seatbelt system which was installed by the manufacturer, dealer or other approved aftermarket installer.

What are the regulations for inoperable vehicles?

In the City of Redlands, if a vehicle is left on the street for more than 72 hours without being driven and/or is in-operable, the police department will place a 72 Hour "warning sticker" on the windshield according to Redlands Traffic Ordinance 10.40.110. The owner/driver has 72 hours to remove the vehicle from the street, or a citation for street storage will be issued and/or the vehicle will be towed in accordance with the California Vehicle Code 22651 (k).

Can I park my vehicle on the street?

Yes. However vehicles parked on the street must be licensed and operable, and cannot be left in one location for more than 72 consecutive hours (3 days).
*Please note that vehicles should be parked so they do not block or partially block the sidewalk or driveway.

Can I park my vehicle on my front lawn?

No. When people use their lawns for parking, they compact the soil, damage the landscaping, and detract from the visual appearance of their property and the neighborhood. Furthermore, when people park on the lawn, oils and fluids from their vehicles can seep into the ground and create a potential environmental problem. All vehicles must be parked on a permanent paved surface such as asphalt, Portland Cement or other approved stabilized permanent surface. The entire vehicle must be parked on a permanent paved surface, not just the tires. Vehicle owners who continue to park on the front lawn, after being notified that it is unlawful to do so, will be subject to a City citation.

Where can I park my boat or recreational vehicle?

You can park your boat or recreational vehicle in any location where you would normally park your car. It must be a permanent paved surface, and neither the boat nor recreational vehicle should block any driveway or sidewalk. They both should be licensed and operable. Boats should be stored on a trailer, which is operable and registered. The boat must also be covered.

The boat and recreational vehicle cannot be parked in the same place for more than 72 consecutive hours (3 days).

Can I live in my recreational vehicle?

No. It is unlawful for anyone to live in a recreational vehicle parked on any public property such as the street, park, alley, public parking lot or any other public way. The same regulation applies to private property. On occasion the City grants permission to property owners who request to have a caretaker on their property on a temporary basis. Guests of city residents are allowed to stay in their recreational vehicle for up to 48 consecutive hours, when parked in close proximity to the resident’s dwelling.

Can the City abate an abandoned vehicle?

Yes. If a vehicle is abandoned or inoperable, the City can remove the vehicle through an abatement process. Once a vehicle has been abated, the owner cannot reclaim it.

Click here to see the complete list of Police Department Information, Divisions, and Services