Frequently Asked Questions


1. Q: How do I know if I need a Home Occupation Permit for my business?
A: If you run a business from your home then you must obtain a Home Occupation Permit from the Planning Division of the Community Development Department, regardless of the work involved. Please check with the Planning Staff to see if your business qualifies as a Home Occupation.
2. Q: I live in a home that is a Heritage Home and want to know if that requires a review from the City regarding my remodel?
A: The Heritage Award is strictly an Honorary Designation from the Redlands Historical Society. Although obtaining a Heritage Award from the Redlands Historic Society is a prestigious honor it is not a designation adopted by the City of Redlands. A structure only needs review from the City's Historic and Scenic Preservation Commission when it is a recognized Resource or Landmark from the City of Redlands.
3. Q: I want to modify the sign for my business and want to know if that requires a permit from the City.
A: Any modification to your sign, including change of copy needs to be approved by the Community Development Department
4. Q: Are Banners legal in the City of Redlands?
A: Yes Banners are legal in the City of Redlands. Effective July 2, 1998 a commercial enterprise can apply for a Banner for a period of up to one month up to four times a year. In order to display a banner it does require a permit and is subject to certain regulations.
5. Q: I want to build a room addition on my house what do I need to do.
A: The first thing you should do is to discuss your project with Planning staff to see if you can meet the zoning requirements such as lot coverage, setbacks, and height limits. Then you need to have plans drawn by a an architect or draftsperson and submit them to Building and Safety.
6. Q: How do I obtain copies of the staff reports or minutes from a Planning Commission or City Council Meeting?
A: If you need copies of minutes or staff reports from a Planning Commission you can call the Department Secretary and make arrangements to pick up the document or have it mailed. If it is for a City Council Meeting you may request copies of the minutes or Staff Reports directly from the City Clerk.
7. Q: I am opposed to a project that is on a future Agenda for the Planning Commission and/or City Council, is there anything I can do?
A: There are a number of ways to keep yourself informed and present your ideas to the decision makers. Projects are submitted to the Planning Division and area available for public review prior to the public hearing. A staff report is prepared for each agenda item and is available prior to the hearing. If you are unsure as to the hearing dates you may notify the City Clerk and/or Planning Secretary that you want to be notified of all future hearings on the manner. To present your ideas you may want to submit written comments to the Environmental Review Committee, Planning Commission, and/or City Council. You may also want to present oral testimony at the Public Meeting.
8. Q: Can I purchase the City's Zoning Map, General Plan Map, or other ordinances?
A: All of these items can be purchased at the Planning Division, Suite 20 in the Civic Center. Please call the Planning Secretary at (909) 798-7555 for the correct fees. The documents can be mailed or picked up in person. If you want the documents mailed then you must send in the correct amount prior to any mailing.
9. Q: My neighbor has a tree that is blocking my view of the mountains, what can I do?
A: The City does not have any view ordinances nor does it have any ordinance that would limit the growth of trees.