The City of Redlands owns 16 citrus groves throughout the City totaling 164 acres. They include Valencia Oranges, Naval Oranges, Ruby Star Grapefruit, and Rio Grapefruit.
The City’s citrus operation operates as an enterprise fund. The revenue received from the harvesting of the crops is used to continue the care of maintenance of the groves.
It was in the spring of 1882 that Mr. E.J. Waite, a native of Wisconsin, planted the first orange grove in Redlands proper on two and a half acres on Center Street.
The City of Redlands was, for almost three-quarters of a century, at the heart of the largest navel orange producing region in the world, attracting people from all over the world from the late 1800’s to the late 1950’s.