Garage destroyed, home damaged in early morning blaze

Garage destroyed, home damaged in early morning blaze
Posted on 08/23/2016

Redlands Firefighters responded to a fire early Tuesday morning in the 300 block of West Colton Avenue that destroyed one structure and damaged another.

The Fire Department received the call shortly after 4 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 23. Firefighters arrived to find a detached garage behind a home in the 300 block of West Colton Avenue involved in flames. The garage was destroyed and flames damaged the exterior paint and an electrical meter on an adjoining home in the 800 block of Webster Street.

One resident was treated on scene for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended candle. Property damage was estimated at $30,000.

The Redlands Fire Department reminds residents that a lighted candle represents a potential fire hazard if not carefully monitored. According to the National Candle Association, accidental candle fires account for approximately 4 percent of all U.S. residential fires. A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided by following three basic safety rules.

  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.